Now in its 16th year, the DJ Awards were held last night in Pacha. The evening’s proceedings kicked off with a press party beforehand at the sumptuous Ocean Drive Hotel, where the world’s media jostled for photos and interviews with the nominated DJs and producers who were present.
The award ceremony then took place at Pacha, with Ibiza and Pacha resident DJ Graham Sahara spinning the tunes before and after the ceremony proper. Hosted efficiently by Des Paul and DJ Lora, each award and the nominees were announced, and the winners took to the stage to collect their DJ Awards Trophy, made from green kryptonite. Part way through, we were treated to a live PA by Francesco Rossi, who performed ‘Paper Aeroplanes’ which won the award for ‘Track of the season’.
But the highlight of the night for me was the PA by Kathy Sledge (the youngest of the infamous Sister Sledge sisters) who in recognition of her ‘Outstanding contribution award’ performed to Aristofreek’s remix of ‘We are family’. Kathy has just signed to the newly launched Pacific Electronic Music label, so there’ll be plenty of new music and remixes coming from her soon.
The Lifetime achievement award was presented to Jerry L Greenberg, who at 32, was the youngest president of any major record company in the recording industry as President of Atlantic Records in 1974.
Jerry was responsible for breaking artists in the US such as Chic, The Trammps, Shannon, Abba and rock acts The Rolling Stones, Genesis and Led Zeppelin amongst others. Jerry announced that he has formed a new worldwide music company, Pacific Electronic Music (PEM) with Ibiza-based electronic producing and DJ duo, The Aristofreeks, aka Lenny Ibizarre and Max Martire.
At the end all the winners appeared together on the stage proudly holding their awards for photographs – a nice touch.
It was actually a great night. I expected it to be a long and drawn out affair, but it wasn’t, and it was great to witness a live performance from Kathy Sledge, in what has seen the resurgence of disco in Ibiza this summer, thanks to Daft Punk’s ‘Get Lucky’ getting a lot of airing on the island and Chic playing live at Ibiza Rocks earlier in the month.
Here’s the full list of the winners:
- Ibiza night of the year: Enter at Space
- Lifetime achievement award: Jerry L Greenberg
- Breakthrough DJ of the year: tINI
- Producer award 2013: Maceo Plex
- International festival: BPM festival, Mexico
- Techno DJ: Cristian Varela
- Media award: Boiler Room TV
- Outstanding contribution award: Kathy Sledge
- Ibiza DJ of the year: Willie Graff
- Dance nation of the year: Mexico
- Electro house DJ: Hardwell
- Cutting edge award: Pioneer DJ
- Deep house DJ: Solomun
- Track of the season: Francesco Rossi, Paper Aeroplanes
- Tech house DJ: Luciano
- Record label of the year: Crosstown Rebels
- Newcomer of the year: Uner
- Electronic live artist: Jamie Jones for Hot Natured
- Ibiza DJ Awards 2009 This year the concept of dreams has been chosen as...
- DJ Awards 2009, Ibiza Great fun night at the DJ Awards at Ocean Drive...
- Ibiza DJ Awards, Pacha The countdown is on to the 13th edition of the...
- M.A.N.D.Y. interview for Ibiza DJ Awards 2009 1. Congratulations on being nominated in the DJ Awards 2009...
- Ibiza Young Entrepreneurs Awards The Young Entrepreneurs Association of Ibiza, Joves Empresaris, are to...