This was the closing party for the Ibiza Rocks summer season of 2012, the culmination of 16 weeks of live music at the Ibiza Rocks Hotel.
DJ Colin Peters kicked off the evening’s proceedings with some great tunes.
Support band Theme Park came onstage at 9.25, and the area in front of the stage was already filled. This was the second time they’ve played here this summer. They supported The Maccabees back in June, but their set was cut short due to some sound gremlins, so it was great to see them back again as I really enjoyed them last time.
In the three months that have passed since then, they’ve played at a lot of festivals, and they’ve released another single ‘Jamaica’, which will be on their debut album to be released soon. As a result, they have more confidence in their performance, and singer Miles belts out his high pitched, soulful vocals, over their funky, poppy, jangly guitar-laden music. I said it last time and I’ll say it again – they’re young, they’re a great band and they should have an exciting future ahead of them.
When headliner’s Two Door Cinema came onstage, nearly everyone had their hands in the air and their phones out to record their entrance. Singer Alex told the packed venue that this is their first time in Ibiza, and it’s exciting to be here. They played an 80-minute set to rapturous applause, combining singles and tracks from their debut album ‘Tourist History’ and the recently released second album ‘Beacon’.
Throughout, the audience is a swaying, hand waving mass, when they’re not jumping up and down. Alex thanked the audience for being so beautiful. But when they end with their single ‘What You Know’, everyone goes mad. Inevitably they came back to perform another 3 songs for the encore. It was a great performance, and the audience loved them, and Ibiza Rocks certainly rocked for the last live gig of 2012. What a great summer season it’s been.
Afterwards, DJ Colin Peters returned to the decks, and played Joy Division’s ‘Love Will Tear Us Apart’, which brought a little tear to my eye with the realisation that it’s all over for this year. Bring on summer 2013!
Do You Want It All?
This Is The Life
You’re Not Stubborn
Something Good Can Work
Eat That Up It’s Good For You
What You Know
Come Back Home
I Can Talk
Words by ClaireB
Click on images for larger versions
Two Door Cinema Club
- Theme Park and Maccabees, Ibiza Rocks 2012 – Review and Photos Theme Park and Maccabees, Ibiza Rocks 2012 - Review and...
- New Order and The Whip, Ibiza Rocks 2012 Review and Photos This was one of the gigs of the summer that...
- Bloc Party and Alt-J Ibiza Rocks 2012, Review and Photos Alt-J released their first album ‘An Awesome Wave’ in the...
- Spector and Kaiser Chiefs Ibiza Rocks 2012 Review and Photos Spector and Kaiser Chiefs Ibiza Rocks 2012 Review and Photos...
- Professor Green and DJ Fresh Live Ibiza Rocks 2012 Review and Photos Professor Green and DJ Fresh Live Ibiza Rocks 2012 Review...