Update 30th May: The fire is now officially under control.
Update 29th May: The fire has now been labelled as “stable” with no new areas being affected. There is still active fire but “the improvement is considerable thanks to the work of the helicopters and seaplanes”.
Update 28th May: The fire is now in its fourth day and while authorities say it is stable its is still blazing. Pilar Costa (Balearic Councillor) has addmitted that the fire is still not under control. The past 3 days we have had a constant stream of water planes flying over and into Santa Eulalia bay to pick up water:
From Linda Jee:
From Bar Doña Ana:
So far no-one has been injured. Map of affected area on day 2:
Images courtesy of Diario de Ibiza
Yesterday afternoon a huge fire broke out in Morna Valley area in the north of Ibiza when an amateur beekeepers smoker accidently dropped embers. The fire has already destroyed over 1500 hectares making it a larger fire than the one around benirras last year.
The fire is still not yet under control but so far no homes or anyone has been affected. The man has been arrested.
Photos from our good friend Nicole Hittman who has kindly given us permission to reproduce her photos:
- Devastating fire at Benirras, Ibiza Update 25/08/10 – The Balearic government have said this morning...
- Ibiza’s Topless fire brigade While the idea is admittedly no longer novel, the ends...
- Ibiza’s rock ‘n’ roll history The year is 1970. A bare-footed Joni Mitchell is ‘looking...
- Mallorca Rocks Hotel – Location & Photos www.ibizarocksinfo.com: Ibiza Rocks & Mallorca Rocks info site Update 07/05/10:...
- Getting passport photos on ibiza – Madrid change their policy The new stipulations on passport photos stress that the photos...